Literacy, Beauty, Blogging and Gratitude
What to do in a thirty minute class period the day before Thanksgiving? We started class today with the Dove self esteem site and viewed the video of a young lady being made up and then computer enhanced for a billboard ad. It was very powerful. (Thanks for the link goes to Keri for sending me a blog post from Will Richardson, who used it in his class.) Kids were highly interested - and interested as well in how visual literacy impacts our views of gender, race and ethnicity. I'm thinking that a related multi media study would be a great opportunity for the kids.
Even though my late summer accident landed me in a temporary condition of no walking or use of my right hand, it gave me a very small taste of what life could be like being shut in and limited to the use of a wheel chair. We talked about that today, and if nothing else, I'd sure like for humans to look inside for beauty. I asked kids why people don't make eye contact with people in wheel chairs. (I found this to be somewhat true.) Anyway, awareness and gratitude are the topics for the day.
Even though my late summer accident landed me in a temporary condition of no walking or use of my right hand, it gave me a very small taste of what life could be like being shut in and limited to the use of a wheel chair. We talked about that today, and if nothing else, I'd sure like for humans to look inside for beauty. I asked kids why people don't make eye contact with people in wheel chairs. (I found this to be somewhat true.) Anyway, awareness and gratitude are the topics for the day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home