Taking Charge of Problem Bloggers
Today kids came back in after an extended weekend of snow and ice and sleeping and eating. The last class period, which was on Thursday, we had viewed and listened to the radio diaries, and then kids posted their reflections. I usually start off blogging days by asking students to read quietly before pulling up the blog, and then I also ask them to read the blog posts before posting their own. Today I pulled up my own post from Teaching Outside the Classroom Box (where we usually begin), but this time I asked them to consider the questions posed at the end of my post, and then they free wrote on the topics of courage as it relates to all we've read, studied and talked about so far. I noticed some major differences in the behavior and tone of each of my three classes. First hour, I started by giving kids a minute to round robin share which character, incident, book or media site had the biggest impact on them with regard to courage. They shared and then began to free write on the blog. As fifteen quiet minutes passed, some of the kids were obviously finished, so I asked kids to read other posts as they finished up their own and then comment on a minimum of five. At this point, I noticed they began to get noisy. I thought this was odd and I said so because the blog is a nonverbal activity, but they don't treat it so. I circulated the room while my mentee sat at the computer and read posts as I had asked him to.
I printed out a questionable post from a student who had been posted over the weekend, and I headed over to his desk to discuss his choice of words and tone. This is not the first time I have deleted an inappropriate post from this student, and I was disappointed that he was defensive. As I was talking to him, I asked him to pull up his free writing from today, and I was shocked at how silly his post was. I guess there is a certain level of maturity and taste and respect required that I thought I could instill or teach, but I have failed in this case. I have decided even as I write this reflection, it is really a matter of respect to me. In fact, I told him that I felt as if he takes this opportunity to mock me and my assignments in order to entertain the others on this public space. Other students I have deleted or edited because of poor judgment on their parts are at least careful,
lest I disapprove. This student has used an inappropriate display name, referred to blacks as chocolate pudding, whites as twinkies, and now silly posts comparing snowmen to white men. I guess it's time to go to paper and pencil. It's amazing how one powerful and inappropriate post or public comment can ruin the mature tone of the blog. Having a mentor reading as I circulated gave me a much better opportunity to give immediate, personal feedback. His help was invaluable in staying on top of posts and comments, not to mention trouble shooting technology challenges.
Second hour is also a challenge. I began class the same way, asking kids to share round robin and then freewrite. Just as the previous hour, class was quiet for fifteen minutes or so, and then with comments came chatter. I overheard ChickenNoodle say that she was angry about Waterwork's comment about copying her. She said it was untrue and embarrassing. I headed back to Waterworks desk only to find her playing with a puzzle, completely off task. I took her computer away, and then I had to find her something to keep her busy. She is very high maintenance. Then, my mentee pointed out an inappropriate comment made by another student who has been censored previously. I had my mentee print out this blogger's "homo" comment, and then headed back to her desk to discuss this. I have decided I can't keep up with her either. She understands when I talk to her, but again, for a lack of respect (and lack of any real consequences thus far) concern about appropriate language doesn't seem to stick with her. I'm still putting out fires in this class, and it's a shame because a some of the bloggers here are amongst my most articulate and brightest.
Third block offers a whole different atmosphere of academics and joy. It is really amazing what personalities bring to a class. (I have a theory that some of the "coolness" and sarcasm of earlier problem bloggers makes other kids self conscious. and some of the good, honest posts are harder to come by. Even the trendy MySpace tone in second hour has been hard to break. In first hour, several of the problem bloggers have set up a silly contest I'm still trying to break.)
Looks like time for the blog assessments to be passed back and some conferencing with each of the kids needs to take place. I owe it to the kids who enjoy this and appreciate the opportunity. The "courage" free writes for the most part looked thoughtful, and tomorrow offers the opportunity to look at related writing ideas. I may have to select only certain papers to post to the blog rather than allow it to be an automatic right for each student to post these papers. Maybe this is what I need to be thinking about anyway... select student writing to occasionally post to the blog.
Next problem to ponder...a former student died this past weekend...an unthinkable, unimaginable, horrifying loss of a beautiful and precious life. She was a scholar, articulate, thoughtful, talented. I am devistated for the family and close friends. I simply cannot understand. Our next required reading is Romeo and Juliet, and I may have to think about this one.
I printed out a questionable post from a student who had been posted over the weekend, and I headed over to his desk to discuss his choice of words and tone. This is not the first time I have deleted an inappropriate post from this student, and I was disappointed that he was defensive. As I was talking to him, I asked him to pull up his free writing from today, and I was shocked at how silly his post was. I guess there is a certain level of maturity and taste and respect required that I thought I could instill or teach, but I have failed in this case. I have decided even as I write this reflection, it is really a matter of respect to me. In fact, I told him that I felt as if he takes this opportunity to mock me and my assignments in order to entertain the others on this public space. Other students I have deleted or edited because of poor judgment on their parts are at least careful,
lest I disapprove. This student has used an inappropriate display name, referred to blacks as chocolate pudding, whites as twinkies, and now silly posts comparing snowmen to white men. I guess it's time to go to paper and pencil. It's amazing how one powerful and inappropriate post or public comment can ruin the mature tone of the blog. Having a mentor reading as I circulated gave me a much better opportunity to give immediate, personal feedback. His help was invaluable in staying on top of posts and comments, not to mention trouble shooting technology challenges.
Second hour is also a challenge. I began class the same way, asking kids to share round robin and then freewrite. Just as the previous hour, class was quiet for fifteen minutes or so, and then with comments came chatter. I overheard ChickenNoodle say that she was angry about Waterwork's comment about copying her. She said it was untrue and embarrassing. I headed back to Waterworks desk only to find her playing with a puzzle, completely off task. I took her computer away, and then I had to find her something to keep her busy. She is very high maintenance. Then, my mentee pointed out an inappropriate comment made by another student who has been censored previously. I had my mentee print out this blogger's "homo" comment, and then headed back to her desk to discuss this. I have decided I can't keep up with her either. She understands when I talk to her, but again, for a lack of respect (and lack of any real consequences thus far) concern about appropriate language doesn't seem to stick with her. I'm still putting out fires in this class, and it's a shame because a some of the bloggers here are amongst my most articulate and brightest.
Third block offers a whole different atmosphere of academics and joy. It is really amazing what personalities bring to a class. (I have a theory that some of the "coolness" and sarcasm of earlier problem bloggers makes other kids self conscious. and some of the good, honest posts are harder to come by. Even the trendy MySpace tone in second hour has been hard to break. In first hour, several of the problem bloggers have set up a silly contest I'm still trying to break.)
Looks like time for the blog assessments to be passed back and some conferencing with each of the kids needs to take place. I owe it to the kids who enjoy this and appreciate the opportunity. The "courage" free writes for the most part looked thoughtful, and tomorrow offers the opportunity to look at related writing ideas. I may have to select only certain papers to post to the blog rather than allow it to be an automatic right for each student to post these papers. Maybe this is what I need to be thinking about anyway... select student writing to occasionally post to the blog.
Next problem to ponder...a former student died this past weekend...an unthinkable, unimaginable, horrifying loss of a beautiful and precious life. She was a scholar, articulate, thoughtful, talented. I am devistated for the family and close friends. I simply cannot understand. Our next required reading is Romeo and Juliet, and I may have to think about this one.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home