Friday, April 21, 2006

Plagiarism on the blog

When I first began reading the blog, there was a student who I thought was writing really great posts. I was pretty impressed, but each time I re-read the post, I noticed that the blog "voice" didn't really sound like a student. I came across one of the posts today and googled it. I found the following which matches her post from the week of Jan. 22. Actually, I think two students were doing it. Just wanted to share. Thought it was interesting.

Commentary

Prejudice begins to play a bigger role in the novel in these two chapters. Truthfully, it is a kind of prejudice that spurs Jem and Dill to try to “get a look” at Boo Radley. All along they claim that their interest is in the name of friendship, but readers know by now that both boys have a morbid curiosity to gawk at what they assume must be a freak of nature.Finally, prejudice appears when the neighbors comment that “‘Mr. Radley shot at a Negro in his collard patch.’” Neither Mr. Radley nor the neighbors have any evidence that the trespasser was black; they make that assumption based on their perceptions of African Americans.


She changed the last little part. Her post was called Chapters 4 and 5.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. James said...

I'm thinking - Wow I never noticed this particular post. Is it because of the hard-to-read colors? I swear I have been reading this all along, but seeing this now doesn't make it feel like that. I'm embarrassed!
Not only does this post not sound like a kid, it doesn't sound like this particular one. She is very sweet, works very hard (appears to), and works with Cliff Notes, which I should have thought of when I originally saw this. What would have made a student use Cliff's for an informal blog? I might want to revisit the idea of giving credit where credit is due.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

I thought that it was M-------, and I think she did it too. I was surprised when I went back and realized it was H. I don't even know (or really care)if it was purposeful. I think she's been reading.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home