Thursday, January 19, 2006

Setting up the online course

I am reading through the sea of permission slips turned back in to me, and thank goodness these kids are indeed highly motivated. I only have 3 or 4 out of all my classes who still need to get the paperwork in, and only 2 who do not already have email addresses. My student mentee created a "how to" guide to set up a free yahoo email account, and no one seemed to want or need it. I hate to write this and jinx things, but it looks as if getting the paperwork in place might not be any more big deal than getting lesson plans in order. (Note: I only have one student whose parent will "...not consent to individual interview or electronic recording of him individually." His mom does write on the consent form, though, that he can post, however. I'm curious why, but don't necessarily want to ask.) I have the computer lab coming in to my room tomorrow, but think I will delay until next Friday when I can have all the email addresses entered and also when I will have figured out how to run the extension chords from desk to desk. I think I may need to redesign the layout of the tables in the room so that computers can all be plugged into outlets so we don't have to mess with redocking of computers into the portable lab. That part is a time consuming hassle.
I heard two of my boys in my second block class say that they thought the class was cool and were looking forward to Fridays. I'm tempted to bring in the computers, but I want the first go round to flow smoothly, and by next Friday they will have read several chapters in Mockingbird and the paperwork should all be in and the email addresses will all be sent, so then there will be plenty to keep us busy and I will also have something to model for them. This is not exactly like setting up my old usual routine of a reading syllabus and figuring out reading prompts and group and whole class activities because I feel a bit of pressure about parents - more than I normally would - and probably more because of the parent who is so adamant about her child not participating in the study. Makes me wonder. A great start is so important in capturing the kids. First impressions are so crucial to success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home