I don't see my post from yesterday after school, so here goes again. First of all, I kind of wish I had responded first and then read the kids' responses and compared our views, but I guess it doesn't matter - I am amazed at our similar responses. They mention credit far more than I think they normally would have because we had midquarter grades last week. Afterall, geez: blog about your reading and get it or not blog about your book and don't get it. I never got into length or correctness or any of the splitting hairs stuff. What a gift. Phasma Del Mar had only one post for the quarter (the cool penguin ride - and what did that say about the book?) and otherwise had not blogged or commented. He was reading in class but not blogging, and his verbal explanation was that he was lazy (I really don't see him as lazy - isn't that interesting) and just didn't have much to say about his first book in the Hitchhiker series. He did originally sign up for the Fear and Loathing thing and switched to Hitchhiker....... The third block class has taken on a challenging and different personality. I think the comments by Spirit egg on some undertones among some of the males that might happen anyway; it's just that on the blog she's free to dish it out and continue to try to get responses. By the same token, on the blog kids have the opportunity to ignore and go on with their own reading or blogging. (Look at her comment to Duncan about his response to Ivar after he asked where you were - it's like she's in the middle of someone else's conversation. He wasn't talking to her, but she interrupts and tells him he's mean. In class, this would have eaten up time and the kids would roll their eyes behind her back) .....back to the responses......I do think that students who might not participate in class discussions have a wonderful opportunity on the blog and most take it. MelonCollie hardly ever discusses in class, but she is smart and reads and blogs (although I was disappointed she got on the Fear and Loathing and said that the blog was dead). ...Scary Harry NEVER talks because he is so shy...Brittany blogs a ton, but is VERY quiet and unassuming in class....I love reading these blogs. another finding....I am validated by their freedom to write and desire to freely respond in their own style and form (or lack thereof), and I have to say that I wondered how the rest of my department (for example) would view the blog posts. I'm so grateful that we plunged right in and left the grammarians behind - I not only think that it isn't necessary here (standard English), it is part of the freedom to "converse" that the kids enjoy. The lingo IS important here. It has taken kids awhile to get in that groove. Remember the long summaries? That's kind of the same thing. I didn't tell them - I swear- to do that. In fact, in class we discussed whether or not anyone read those long posts. Colin, for example, is so "grade" oriented that that was all he knew to do. He and Guitar Junkie were determined to chronicle the entire books they read, but seem now to be easing up. I also didn't tell them to use spell check. (Remember at the first of the year when Feisty Kitten lost his post trying to use spell check? That was enough of that.) On the same note in this particular 3rd block class, we have had several class arguments from Ron B and Roberto leading the way about kids cheating - each of them ratting on the other about why the other should not get "credit" for their books and blogs. Ron especially verbal about how he REALLY was enjoying Harry P, but Roberto not deserving to be on the blog. Isn't that interesting? Just yesterday I graded a set of self initiated writings, and found that Ron turned in his older sister's paper for credit......Back to the language and form of the blog....Even I, the dinosaur of the group, enjoyed their online language and was fascinated by the medium. I remember thinking that Orange Crush "nailed" the form with her style. La La Lauren too. On the same note, we looked at blog language on the projector in class and discussed style...bwahaha....mkay...It is something some of them develop, get and utilize well on their own, and something that the newbies like me - and others in the class are learning to see. ...Will this help them in any way? Well, I think Kasey XOXO says that learning to use blog sites will help them in future classes. She has to be right. ......Does blogging help them read more? I think that has been its biggest asset. Kids can't just turn in a summary (off the jacket) or a letter or whatever. It has the potential to have so much more accountability when I'm not the only audience. The only student who flat out told me she hated blogging was Pretty in Pink. When I inquired further, she said she didn't know what to do. (By the way, she hasn't been doing homework or classwork sometimes, too. Caught her writing notes on several occasions.) I gave her a new book-Emma and Me- and I see that she has been actually bringing it and reading. I haven't read her yesterday's blog (or rather, I don't remember it), so I'll have to see. She told me she'd do anything - Multiple Intelliences or her favorite - book report- instead of blogging. I'm working with her.......... The other interesting response is Phantom Freak. I think here we have a study. The first announcement she made at the beginning of the semester was - "I've already read all of your required reading for the class, so do I have to read it again?" - By the way, I absolutely love this kid, but find her fascinating - My challenge to her was to post on the blog anyway, but hers could be deeper questions, links to outside material related to the storyline, setting, etc., which she, in fact, did well. Interestingly, she is not only different from the others in class, she wants them to know that she is. When we conference, she likes to shock her peers with writing they might not think she'd do - and she boasts of this - her writing might be dark, grisly, not what she thinks they'd expect. When it came to independent reading this quarter, her hand went up right away with the question," Do I have to read what others in the class will read? They can't read what I'm reading. I've either already read all their books or don't want to." (Her book was Iassic Asminoff?... not sure ... quantom physics...see if I can spell) She'd prefer to only have me as an audience too. Isn't that interesting? I might have a lot more experience, but some of these kids are VERY smart. She holds on tightly to her M O. She has really smart kids at her table, too. All from wings - for whatever that's worth. They get along great apparently. When she reads aloud, it's a terrible struggle,though. I know that does not necessarily indicate poor reading comp, but nevertheless I notice this and wonder if that means anything at all. I mean - really - it's a struggle. (I'll look up her reading again, but I think she topped out.) I think it is also interesting that she's reading a book about Conservatives because her parents are liberal. Wouldn't you think that the blog would provide a platform for individuality and uniqueness - just right for someone like Phantom? Maybe she's not supposed to like it because others do?........Does the blog help form community? Oh, this one is easy. It truly has and does. It provides opportunity to talk about consideration for others, their viewpoints, etc. My last class of the day is like a well oiled machine. I don't even have to ask. Volunteers automatically get up and begin the process of collecting the laptops. Sometimes I'll look up and every one of them - really- is helping. There is a wonderful team atmosphere, and I see it in every class, but especially in the last one. ........I'll look back and make notes for your findings, Keri, but just for our blog - the class blog is a jewel. We're ironing out kinks as we go. Kids feel a huge part of that, too, as we discuss and reach consensus in class, i.e. our decision to develop individual book blogs, what kinds of blogs do they like to read, what reasonable expectations we should all have (posts, comments, etc.), etc..... I think even the fact that the research is an ongoing process makes them feel valued. I noticed that many of them thanked you for your interest in them. I know they meant that. That says it all.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home