Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Midquarter review

Yesterday I had the computers in class, and addressed some concerns with individual students about their participation. Take Breanna, for example. I hadn't noticed much blogging from her, but she said she was waiting for the others in her group to catch up with her in the book. Wow. I know we had discussed this in class, but I had to remind her that this was not her responsibility, and as long as she labeled her "spoilers" she shouldn't worry. (Also, not everything worth blogging about ruins the ending or the reading process.) Since it's all a written record anyway, they can read her posts whenever they are ready. We laughed about Stephanie's "spoiler" on the Jane Eyre site. It really is funny, but, yes, Anne and Laura read it anyway. Their problem. We also talked about the personalities of the sites - also talked about manners and how easy it is to mistake "tone" in emails and blogs and so forth. (Some kids are just so critical.) I also pointed out the tact and diplomacy incorporated by bloggers like Erin. Her comment about Magician's Nephew and Christian allusions was tactful and appropriate and reflected a connection with the other bloggers. I haven't checked, but I hope the others commented back to her. We read for the first half of class, blogged for the rest, and closed class with volunteer readings of special passages from today's readings. Tara read from her quantam physics (did I even spell that right?) book and Ben wanted to read from Spaghetti Monster but the bell rang. I notice that I still have kids who aren't having school like the rest of us. Still not even coming to class with a book. No book, no blog. (No, they hadn't finished their books, just left them at home.)I think I got most of them off to the library or hooked up with a new book. On a happy note, there are some that I just can't keep in a good book. They finish them pronto. I read from Saving Fish From Drowning, and Tara was so pleased that she asked me to set up a site, and she was going to find the book. What more can I ask?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home