Sunday, August 06, 2006

A new member

Okay, it's just been Barb and I on here, but we have a new member. Welcome, Heidi. I started working on my comp exam project on blogging and composition studies. I wanted to share this quote I read

Bottom line: it's not time to start thinking about technology. If you haven't started yet, it's time to catch up. If you don't know how to put together a QuickTime movie, you're behind. If you haven't futzed around with sound tools, you're behind. If you're still thinking about how to do web pages, you're behind. If you don't "get" blogs and wikis, you're behind. If you don't think that the Grokster case has anything to do with you, you're behind. And I could keep on going. There is nothing wrong with writing an essay, a view, a site, whatever, addressing those who are (by now) late adopters, but why in the world would exhortations to think critically about technology have any effect on those people when they've been hearing the same song for years now? The net is changing education, journalism, politics, science, culture, etc etc etc. If you're not keeping track of those changes, you're behind. Pure and simple.
Wow. How many K-12 teachers would disagree with this?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Mick said...

I know that I am behind even though I try to stay up with technology. It just seems that keeping current takes time. If we try to stay current with technology- then that means that our school has to accept the changes that are taking place. I believe that schools (as a whole) are behind in most areas. When a few people try to pull schools forward others dig in and refuse to move. Why has technology scared so many educators? We still have teachers who refuse to use computers. Three years ago, our chem. teacher retired because he would not even turn on the five new computers purchased for his classroom.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Ms. James said...

Curious about this quote, I just read the link it came from, and I have to say it felt wonderful to see that so many of our conversations have followed this line...accessibility and equity for our students (economics), an understanding of how technology impacts our curriculum, where our students are, teachers are, and administrators in terms of media literacy, understanding and use thereof. (I remember when one of my superiors said that a blog is really just a journal and not of much use in a classroom.)Oh my, I am still in the infant stage. Oh, yes, welcome, Heidi. Good comments and questions. As to the fear factor, don't you think that many of us are uncomfortable - or out of control- when our students are more skilled than we are? (It wouldn't take much in my case, but then, that might be why surrender was easy for me!)Well, anyway, welcome. I am looking forward to your input.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home