Student reaction to the email invitations
I have asked in my classes so far what kids thought of getting the invitations to the blog site. I have had a couple ask me to please resend - due to technical difficulties. Others said they didn't know what to do. Still, a number became interested when I told them that if they wanted to post their reader's notebook questions or comments that pop up as they read, they could either keep a journal so to speak in their portfolios or they could post online...same credit, same content. New kids expressed interest. Had a very enlightening conversation with a mother today. She and her husband wrote on the permission slips that they did not want their child electronically recorded individually and I needed to know what that meant. Interestingly, she was concerned that the material was going to be kept for three years and she didn't want her son to be video taped for someone else's gain - particularly because of his hispanic heritage - she felt that some groups capitalize on ethnicity in order to reach a quota or to appear as if there is some ethnic balance. Interesting. To get to the root of this I listened at length as she discussed her church - James River - and how she felt that they (her family) had been video taped in order to look more ethnically balanced. She- on a different note- also was concerned about online persona "Kids under the cloak of anonymity can be something they are not" and can outsiders be reading our site, etc. She was really excited about our research when I explained more about it,and I encoured her to call Keri if she needed further information. She wanted to know how to see the site. I suggested that Andrew had an invitation on his email and he could log on and show her. I think she'll be on nightly. More later

1 Comments:
That's something that I need to make clear in the consent form. I need to go back and re-read it. I envisioned the video taping as only for me to be able to see and hear the comments of all of the students. I don't intend to show that to anyone. I may also use the video recording purely for audio if that makes sense. I thought I might be able to hear all of the student comments. That's really interesting, and I understand hesitation. Last night as I was driving though, I thought that I should have been the one to call her. We've been talking about ethical dilemmas, and I'm afraid I should have done that. I can still call her though.
I am planning on being in class on Friday, and I want to do very short interviews with a few students. This worries me as well. On the consent form I think I say that there are two or three interviews, but actually, some of them I may need to talk to more than that. I wonder if I have to go back to IRB and tell them or just go with it.
I've been thinking a lot about when I visit. I will be there before second block starts, and I would like to sit in an out of the way place. The only introduction that I would like to have is something like this: Remember that Mrs. Franklin will be in and out of the room during the semester. She may speak to you and ask you questions at times, and she may also email you." Or maybe you only want to say, Ms. Frankling will be in and out of the classroom this semester, and she is visiting today. And leave it at that.
There are some students I want to talk to, and I wonder if it is better to email them or to talk to them in person. At times, I even wonder if I should be observing the classroom. Maybe the study should be purely online. But as I wrote that, I don't think that I believe that because I believe that face-to-face human interaction has a different quality, a quality that could improve discussions and interviews.
I need to get the survey done today. I would like to get that to you and have the kids fill out very soon. I think it will be interesting.
Thanks for all of the great posts. You are recording the classroom experiences, and I'm kind of recording the research experience.
Post a Comment
<< Home