The second lab day
I moved today's lab experience to the library classroom since I knew that the wiring there would not present the problems that my classroom experience did. That being said, we did make it through the day without blowing power. Setting up was also easier since it was simply a matter of setting up rows of computers and stringing the chords to the two outlets. Students walked in second hour with 29 computers up and ready to be logged on. I listed events from the last night's reading on the white board since I've discovered that a lot of kids are reading at their own pace (mostly ahead, but several admittedly behind). Anyway, today's blogging followed the trial scene (but not the verdict), so I wrote: Who presented the better case, Mr. Gilmer or Atticus? Who was the better attorney? What was Mayella's life like? What kind of man is Tom Robinson...These were only suggestions to begin with, and I tried to encourage students to take it and run (being careful to not give away what's next). I encountered very few problems 2nd block. It's a small enough class that a couple of laptops that were giving us trouble (couldn't log on or use the internet) that kids could move on to another. It was awesome to be able at last to deal with the blog itself and not the technology and the problems the portable lab brings. With about 30 extra minutes left in class, the kids logged onto the SRI test and tested and printed out results. I think all of them were able to test and most were able to print before we discovered that we needed ink. Before 3rd block got underway, I called for our tech. assistant Templemeyer to bring us an ink cartridge and to iron out printing challenges, but got little help. Third block I am happy to say got rolling with everyone able to log on. I had several kids who had not yet accepted email invitations, and it is such a joy to now say that they are all finally on. We also had the joy of communicating with "Ivar Waters" (Cody Graham) who was home because he had a swim meet in the afternoon, and the kids and Cody commented about how cool that was that he could still be in class. In this class, the SRI pooped out on us. The district will have to address those problems. KIds for the most part blogged and some read quietly afterwards. My fourth block lively class also all finally got their email invitations - Tessa - Taylor F. and (Taylor Minch gave me the wrong address for the zillionth time and realized it at the end of class). I think I finally got hers fixed. Reading back through what they all wrote was interesting. Out loud in class I heard comments and questions like, "Who's ME? Who's Ron Burgundy?, etc." Though they wanted to know, they also didn't want to know. They said they loved trying to figure it out. I left it alone. Spirit Runner told me how happy she was that lots of people were commenting to her, and when other girls in the class overheard her, they remarked that they had finally figured out who she was and decided to then comment. Interesting. Still, she liked being anonymous she said. I am mind boggled about how to keep track of it all, but do I need to? I'm wondering what direction to go here. I'll have to talk this over with Keri.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home