Tuesday, October 10, 2006

New Beginnings


I guess no school year is ever "normal," and as I look back on years past, I can conjure up memories of glitches and obstacles, so, oh, well...enough said. Is there really ever enough said, though, about flexibility and adapting and so forth? It's not really anything you can teach; you either sink or swim. So, this year is a test, and I'm positive that I will remain afloat.

I'm proud that I created a classroom blog while I was home the first weeks of school because now it serves several wonderful purposes: l) the kids got to know me personally - even silly pictures of me and pets- while I was out 2) kids and even parents could practice (some did) pulling up daily posts to see an overview or objective for that day 3) kids unfamiliar with blogging could experience some of the features like linking, pictures, commenting, etc. 4) I was modeling a practice for the class. I now start class out with the previous night's post on the projector and we often begin with that discussion as a frame of reference...questions, comments, etc. Students ask questions about upcoming assignments and due dates mentioned there.

I passed out parent consent and student assent forms yesterday during 1st and 2nd block classes and am hoping to have them all returned by tomorrow. I had my substitute back for 3rd block and learned today that they had only received the family letter, so I'm playing catch up with that class. It's funny how powerful word of mouth is. A number of kids already knew from last year's group so much about the blog experience, and that makes things easier, too. They seem interested and anxious to get the book and blog going.

We no longer have a mobile laptop lab, at least not what I had availiable to me last year. (Our building seems so different to me with only a few staff changes...) Anyway, our tech support felt that since there were several computers in dire need of service on both the large and small mobile lab, she'd combine the two labs and set them up in our new A+ room. Evidently our A+ program will be getting computers, but we are on a waiting list to order equipment (according to our new A+ coordinator) and we are 80th in line to even order the computers for her lab. Until then, the computers have become one lab. There seems to be no plan for servicing or replacing the laptops which are broken. In addition to all this, a growing number of classes are signing up for the lab, so thank God I went to school in June to sign up for the use of the lab in advance. Still, I'm sad that there are no longer two labs available for use. It was so much more accessible last year when I could have the lab in my room and kids were able to use it as needed. I'll have to be patient with the new changes. Monday, for example, I had a nifty lesson/scavenger hunt for my blog, but ten minutes before class, I got notice that the lab would be unavailable for use that day...That throws me out of the loop until I am signed up next. The kids may not have the access I had last year, but I'm sure I can hang in there. Sink or swim.

I'm really glad to have outlined scaffolding for this semester's group. Tomorrow after I pick up the rest of the signed forms (optimistic, huh?) we'll finish the power point I started today, and talk about names. I have a Reader's Digest article (July '06) on manners that I have run off to practice posting - and later commenting, too. Keri, can you send me a link on netiquitte(sp)?

That's it for now. I love new beginnings. Today is a new beginning...my first day out of the wheelchair(legally), no more arm cast, no more leg cast, and watch out world! In honor of my newfound freedom, here's a picture of me with one of my best friends - and no broken limbs.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keri said...

Hi,

I stopped to look for netiquette sites before I finished reading your post. I said in my post "Can this be part of the scavenger hunt?" I meant to write "should."

I might just let them read this and have a discussion. Let me know when you will discuss this.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home